ISO 50001 = A certified energy management system (EnMS).
What you will need:
- An energy policy (continuously reviewed and updated);
- Meet all applicable energy legal requirements;
- Plan - Do - Check - Act system for managing energy use;
- Monitor and improve energy efficiency;
- Senior management buy-in and review;
- Documentation of all of the above.
|EnergyElephant Winners at the European Young Innovators Awards 2015.|
ISO 50001:2011 requires organisations to:
- Continually improve energy performance, including energy efficiency, energy use and consumption;
- Define their energy policy and document an energy planning process;
- Review energy use, consumption and efficiency at defined intervals;
- Document the methodology and criteria used to develop the Energy Review considering facilities, equipment, systems or processes;
- Establish an energy baseline and identify EnPIs (Energy Performance Indicators) appropriate for monitoring and measuring it’s energy performance;
- Establish, implement and maintain documented Energy Objectives and Targets.
An effective energy management system based on ISO 50001 provides an organisation's top management with a roadmap which allows them to:
- Minimise energy usage.
- More effectively meet legislative and regulatory requirements and therefore be viewed more favourably by regulators.
- Provide an opportunity to systematically plan, control and monitor operational activities and processes that may impact on energy usage.
- Incorporate energy efficiency in the planning of all new investments.